Friday, November 15, 2013

American quilts

In San Antonio I stayed in the Riverwalk Vista, which I realised only after I arrived was an 'Historic Hotel of America'. It wasn't a grand hotel; in fact they called themselves an inn. The building dated from the 1880s when it had been built as a large general store. I enjoyed my stay, but what probably predisposed me most to think it was a good place to stay were the quilts that decorated the hallways and public spaces. Every time I walked along the hallway I had to stop and admire and examine and envy the quilts.

Quilt 1Quilt 3Quilt 2Quilt 4Quilt 6Quilt 5

5 comments:

M-H said...

How Beautiful! That would have made me very happy. We stayed in a hotel in Japan once that had wall niches with found objects and tiny paintings in them, and that was lovely too. These touches add so much to the homeliness of these otherwise impersonal places.

Brendaknits said...

OMG!!! Ok that settles it. The 'San Antonio here we come' campaign starts tonight. I'll start it with having hubby read your blog.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pics. I grew up in LA and loved train travel out of Union Station. It's looking very good now. Happy journey.

Mary

sushiwiz said...

Will you make it up the East Coast at all? We're on Cape Cod and I'd love the opportunity to say hello!!

DrK said...

oh they are so beautiful. it was seeing american folk quilts in the flesh that made me contemplate quilting, they are so lovely. what a beautiful place.